Diaper drives to help MPS student parents

Photo by Kim Sahin/Times

Going on at MATC was a diaper drive hosted and run by Gershia Coggs, an MATC instructor, for 3 hours/3 days, as part of an in service-learning project that she used for 3 college success classes. The diaper drive stems from The National Diaper Bank Network, with bulk donations, local diaper banks, regional diaper banks and local service provider, all in cooperation with each other to help those families and children in need. Nearly 1 in 3 families struggle to buy diapers for their children. Donations will go to helping students obtain diapers for their children in need. This is part of a goal to paying it forward for something good and needed in the community. This is something in need more often than spoken of, to help in keeping every child clean, dry and healthy. When parents run out of diapers they are forced to withdraw their children from daycare, which means possible elimination from job possibilities, which means lack of support for their families. This chain can ultimately lead to a wider range of negative outcomes in children, including problems with behavior cognitive ability, language development and school adjustment. It can lead to negative overall well-being. The outcome of this diaper drive, achieved a success of raising near $250 in diapers and $180 in cash donations. Thanks to all those that helped in contributing in helping paying it forward.

The MATC Service Learning Center will be conducting a “Dollars for Diapers” drives at the downtown campus on the second floor in the S-Building on Oct. 10 and Oct. 16 from 11a.m.-noon.  The Dollars for Diapers drive will provide diapers for children of homeless and needy students, particularly MPS students.  Gershia Coggs, business instructor, says that the need for diapers is great, especially amongst MPS students and homeless students.  Coggs was inspired to create a diaper bank at MATC nearly two years ago when she saw a television special about the number of homeless and non-homeless families who couldn’t afford diapers.  She contacted the National Diaper Bank Network to see how she could help, and has since been a great assistance to them in their efforts to partner with schools and provide diapers to the needy.  Coggs said she is always surprised by the overwhelming responses to the diaper drives from donators, participants, and recipients.  “It is extremely rewarding.  I feel that we are filling a void that really needs to be addressed.”

An adequate supply of diapers may cost as much as $100 per month.  The National Diaper Bank Network says that nearly 34 percent of American mothers have to cut back on food and/or utilities to afford diapers.  Anita Shine, surgical technician student agrees.  Inspired by Coggs to participate in the Dollars for Diapers drive as part of her college success class, she says she was shocked at the high prices of diapers.  “The price has increased since I had my babies 30 years ago,” Shine says.  She recommends that parents search out alternative options like ‘diaper services’ which provide cloth diapers, which are cheaper and reusable.   Affordability issues may lead some parents to ‘stretching diapers’.  That is, leaving a baby in a diaper longer than is appropriate.  HealthDay.com reports cases of moms scooping out the diaper contents and reusing the diaper on their baby.  This leads to increases in diaper rashes and skin infections.  If you would like to help with the Dollar$ for Diapers drive, you can do so by providing diapers, coupons, and donations.  Contact Gershia Coggs at 414-536-3397 for more information.