$400,000 facelift for Counseling Center

Photo by Darin Dubinsky/Times

Marvette Cox (far right) signs in students at the front desk in the new Counseling Center on the second floor of the “S” building at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus. Students get signed in to see counselors or advisers.

The Downtown Milwaukee Campus started the school year with one noticeable change. The Career, Counseling and Advising Center which is now open to the students. As the name suggests the space houses a career planning center, an academic advising section and a counseling function. All of which are open to students and free of charge. Simply walk into Room S203/209 and speak to a front desk specialist. “It’s a great room. Students that don’t know where to go can come in and get help,” said Donna Hecht, front desk specialist.
When students walk past the space a few things are immediately noticeable. The gloomy office space that previously occupied the area has been transformed into an open concept, glass-walled area. The front desk is wheelchair accessible; the wider hallways are also designed to aid those students in wheelchairs. A banner outside declares, “Every student leaves better equipped for success than when they came.”
This is certainly what Walter Lanier; director of counseling, advising and career planning, is intent on doing. Lanier envisioned this space not only as an aesthetically pleasing area, but as a functional, well utilized resource available to students.
The centralized function was designed to cover any gaps and to ensure advising excellence. The area has been closed since March 2013 for the remodel. That did not stop the 25,000 students that visited the counseling, career planning or advising centers on the downtown campus since January of this year. In fact all four campuses saw 50,000 students collectively in this past calendar year.
“I think it is fine. It is an excellent resource for students,” said Shaquille Grandberry, a first semester Liberal Arts student. “There is more room. It didn’t have as many chairs in the waiting room before,” said Nyeisha Johnson, who is studying an Early Education degree. Johnson added, “Some kids come from high school; they need to know they have help. They need mentoring.”
Many students had similar views on the importance of the room and its functions, but expressed concerns for whether students will utilize it effectively.

Printed version of the story.
Printed version of the story.

“I think it’s fantastic! It is more accessible and more with the times, you know more of a 2013 setting,” said Marlena Davis. “I hope students use it, because it’s a great thing. Take advantage of it.” Davis is back at MATC to complete her Early Elementary degree after almost 22 years.
By the end of this semester there will be eight advising specialists. By adding more advising specialists MATC is able to free up counselors to dedicate their time to other students.
Students can also seek personal counseling including those suffering from depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, stress, frustration, mental health and personal issues. Licensed professional counselors are also assigned to students on academic probation to help assess their needs and to aid in retention.
Counselors have access to assessments such as DISC, MBTI and WISCareers. These tools give counselors a better understanding of the student; the counselor can then work with the student on career planning.