Diaper drives to help MPS student parents

The MATC Service Learning Center will be conducting Dollars for Diapers drives at the downtown campus on the second floor in the S-Building on Oct. 10 and Oct. 16 from 11 a.m.-noon.
The Dollars for Diapers drives will provide diapers for children of homeless and needy students, particularly MPS students.
Gershia Coggs, business instructor, says that the need for diapers is great, especially among MPS students and homeless students.  Coggs was inspired to create a diaper bank at MATC nearly two years ago when she saw a television special about the number of homeless and non-homeless families who couldn’t afford diapers.
Coggs contacted the National Diaper Bank Network to see how she could help, and has since been a great assistance to them in their efforts to partner with schools and provide diapers to the needy.
Coggs said she is always surprised by the overwhelming responses to the diaper drives from donors, participants and recipients.  “It is extremely rewarding.  I feel that we are filling a void that really needs to be addressed,” she said.
An adequate supply of diapers may cost as much as $100 per month.  The National Diaper Bank Network says that nearly 34 percent of American mothers have to cut back on food and/or utilities to afford diapers.  Anita Shine, surgical technician student, agrees.
Inspired by Coggs to participate in the Dollars for Diapers drive as part of her college success class, she says she was shocked at the high prices of diapers.  “The price has increased since I had my babies 30 years ago,” Shine says.  She recommends that parents search out alternative options like diaper services that provide cloth diapers, which are cheaper and reusable.
Affordability issues may lead some parents to “stretching diapers.” That is, leaving a baby in a diaper longer than is appropriate.
HealthDay.com reports cases of moms scooping out the diaper contents and reusing the diaper on their baby.  This leads to increases in diaper rashes and skin infections.
If you would like to help with the Dollars for Diapers drive, you can do so by providing diapers, coupons and donations.  Contact Gershia Coggs at 414-536-3397 for more information.