• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Women’s volleyball meets number two team in nation, Rock Valley

The Stormers Women’s Volleyball team (3-5 conference and 10-12 overall) played a determined match against the nationally ranked 2nd opponent in NJCAA Division III, Rock Valley Golden Eagles (9-0 conference and 28-2 overall) at home.The conference leading Golden Eagles took the match, 3 sets for the Golden Eagles and 0 sets for the Stormers. Set scores were 25-14, 25-17 and 25-21.

The first set was tied at 7-7 until Rock Valley scored 5 straight points and the Stormers were unable to close the gap.

The Golden Eagles effectively used dink shots in the first set to score points on the Stormers attempting to make digs.

Despite giving away points on three net serves in the first set, Rock Valley was able to win the set. The Stormers were up 9-6 in the second set, but Rock Valley scored 9 straight points and did not look back.

The Stormers came out and seemed to play extra tough in the third set, determined not to go away without a set.

Rock Valley was able to overcome the effort of the Stormers to take the set. Stormers’ Coach Melissa Blessington was proud of how the Stormers handled play against a top ranked opponent.

“We were playing the number two team in the nation tonight and our girls played great team defense and gave a great amount of effort against a very strong Rock Valley team,” said Blessington.