Four Women, the newly produced Film by Adoor Gopalakrishnan

Photo by Noel Tanner

On March 22, from 6–9 p.m., Director Adoor Gopalakrishnan, a famous Indi movie director, showed his newest film “Four Women” in room S120.
    The movie consisting of four short stories combined into one movie to represent 4 different time periods, showing the differences between time, and life styles. Each an hour long, dating back to 1946, ending on the 4th film in the early 60’s. The order of the movies went from beginning to last, The Prostitute, showing the life of a women that was known to their city as the town whore, wanting to give that up and become married, showing the life style of the times.
    Next was The Virgin, telling the life of a virgin girl getting married to a man that did not love her, did not look, respond, acknowledge her, only to find out in the end, that it was all because of a rumor, he had married a virgin. Third film was called The House Wife, leading into a story about a woman that could not bare children with her husband, yet still hoped and tried. Concluding the film was a story known as The Spinster, about a young woman who was intent to marry a man, who later chose to marry her younger sister, telling the audience what her life was like, living at home, and then having to move in with her sister and her husband because of a death. The troubling life of wanting a family of her own, feeling that to live a happy life she needed the support of a man, only to realize in the end, that living her own life, alone, was all she wanted.
    The film took 3-6 months to make; that includes writing the script. “I always write from my own ideas,” Gopalakrishnan said. It was filmed in his home country, India where he worked with new and old actors and actresses. He has made 30 short films and 11 feature films, though this was his first time writing a script based off of 4 short stories. He is a national and international known Indi-movie director and has won awards for his films. The Grassroots Speaker Series for the school of Liberal Arts and Sciences were sponsoring this event.