New student organization brings out big talent

Jackie+B+performs+with+Anfernee+McDowell+to+sing+an+original+song+he+wrote%2C+%E2%80%9CBlack+Girl+Lost%2C%E2%80%9D+at+the+talent+show.+

Photo by Mike Hiller/Times

Jackie B performs with Anfernee McDowell to sing an original song he wrote, “Black Girl Lost,” at the talent show.

Belly dancers and freestyle rappers entertained an audience in the T-Auditorium at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus on Oct. 17. Truth Society founders, president Maurice Jenkins and vice president Charles Coleman, were responsible for organizing the show in collaboration with the Fatherhood Initiative.
“From June up until now,  we’ve been working on celebrating the father week and the talent show,” says Jenkins. “Charles and I had spent an average of 60 hours a week in the school working on this event.” They also built a partnership with the Milwaukee Fatherhood Initiative who had members sitting amongst the audience.
Throughout the show, Truth Society members Timone McCloud and Marlon Bynum emceed the show; introducing the performers and keeping the crowd entertained. The headline act of this event were local musicians: Zilla and Boom Ben Jammn. The duo performed their own freestyle raps and provided beats for all the performers. The student performances included freestyle raps, lyricists, a melodic singer and a belly dancing routine. The crowd was ecstatic with each performance for putting on a great show.
Midway through the show, Pastor Mark Evans and Dennis Walton of the Milwaukee Fatherhood Initiative came as guest speakers. Both Evans and Walton shared words of wisdom with the audience and recited the message about the Truth Society. That message was to bring awareness as to who they are as a student organization.
The Truth Society is a young and growing organization. Its members were satisfied with the turnout for the talent show. After the success of their first event, they hope to host another talent show and have more students come and perform. They also wish to collaborate with other student organizations for future events.
The Truth Society is still growing and developing while looking for new ways to find support. Check the billboards around school to find their next meeting and see if this organization is for you.