West Allis becomes the first regional campus to upgrade to GED computer-based testing

GED Testing

It is no secret that we are living in the age of technology. Things like books, newspapers and paperwork have been replaced by the internet and electronics. This has forced many institutions and businesses to get with the times or fall behind. Our school is no exception and continues to upgrade where upgrades are needed. Recently, the West Allis campus improved their GED exam process by adapting to a CBT system, Computer- Based Training. Although the Downtown campus has been using GED CBT for some time now, West Allis is the first regional campus to complete the transition.
The paper system was often prone to delays and was time consuming. Now, those studying for their GED exams can take them on the computer. The CBT system is much more simple, efficient and up to date. It has taken the place of endless paperwork and mailing processes. This makes it less complicated for everyone involved. Jeannie Bynum, manager of the Student Services Division at the West Allis campus, has been a big part of these changes. She spoke in depth about the subject, as well as its changes and what it means for GED candidates.
Bynum acknowledges, “The biggest benefit of GED CBT, for the school and students, is that the process is better streamlined.” Prior to the changes, the school handled most of the exam preparation with students. “Now, the student is required to go online and register themselves; the school does not do the process anymore,” Bynum explains. “This way, they can do it whereever they can get internet access.” This will save the candidates many trips collecting and filling out forms. It will also help to eliminate mistakes that may occur during the process on both sides. In regards to the past method, Bynum comments, “We would send letters, notifications, sometimes they forgot.” She continued to say, “Now, we confirm their identity, pull up what they are testing for on the computer and they get started.”
GED candidates will also no longer have to wait to find out their scores. “They get their scores right away,” Bynum confirmed. “Before they would have to wait which could take a couple weeks.”
This is a nice bonus, easing tension and stressful anticipation of waiting. She also points out, “The grandest advantage is that it is on the computer; the world is moving into technology-everything, that is why we are mandated to do this.”
All GED testing sites across Wisconsin will soon change over to CBT beginning January 2014. This includes other regional campuses such as Oak Creek and Mequon.
The paper testing system was for the 2002 GED series. When the process is completed, the new GED series will be the Pearson Vue edition. Pearson Vue is the company that will be providing this new software and service.
When asked if there are any downsides to the change Bynum said, “Absolutely.” She then explained that candidates studying for their exams will have a deadline of Dec. 13 to complete their GED process for the 2002 series. This means any uncompleted exams or work prior to this date will be void. Every Monday, the West Allis campus has allowed candidates to schedule time to test on CBT as well as finish their paper exams. “We are doing both simultaneously, we have to close out the paper exams; we have students that are trying to complete them by Dec. 13,” Bynum shared. “Students must complete everything by that date, when January comes around we are only doing the CBT.” She emphasized the urgency of the deadline, “If not they will have to start everything anew, do it all over again.”
Bynum also has concerns for candidates that are unfamiliar with computer technology. “Our older generations who are returning to school may not know computers as well as people who’ve attended school in the last 10-15 years,” she explains. “However, we are working on combating this problem. Part of the process of registering, gives them a heads up with a tutorial to computer use and tools.” It is great to know that the GED testing sites have taken this into consideration and are providing these candidates with assistance in that area.
The payment process for GED testing will change significantly as well. The fee will go from $65 to an estimated $135 to test. Bynum says this has nothing to do with the school, but the company providing the new software. She explains that the school does not set that price nor do they see any of that money. “You are provided a service and you will have to pay for it.” The fee will continue to be non-refundable but policies will modify greatly. Since the school no longer handles money, the registration process will not allow you to schedule an appointment without making a full payment.
Also, prior to these changes, once you made your payment and scheduled an appointment you could reschedule using that money. Bynum states, “If you schedule an appointment you have only 24 hours to reschedule or cancel.” She then mentions that if for any reason you are unable to do this, you will be out $135 and have to pay that amount again for another appointment. “This is the worst disadvantage of the process,” Bynum shared. She hopes that in time, a change can be made to tweak this policy. But it will remain fixed for the time being.
Although the downsides of this transition are relevant, they will not negate the progress GED CBT has done for testing sites.
Being the first to switch over to CBT is a great accomplishment for the West Allis campus. It will not be long until all the regional campuses switch over as well. “We all worked together, to get each other up and running but I took charge for the west campus,” Bynum expressed. She went on to explain how pleased she was with their hard work, “We made sure we met that deadline, had our computers, the right memories and cameras that we needed.” She concluded saying, “I am very proud to say we successfully completed the task, we are done and testing!”
The transition into CBT has been a long time coming and is a much needed upgrade. Bynum would like to express the importance of completing the 2002 series by the deadline on Dec. 13.
If they do not finish, their work will be gone and they will have to restart the process. There are no exceptions. Every test site across Wisconsin will switch to CBT and the Pearson Vue edition starting January 1. This includes the Spanish versions of GED testing as well. For more information please visit, http://www.matc.edu/matc_news/2013_GEDChanges.cfm.