New year promises hard work for men’s basketball players, excitement for fans

Basketball season is underway, and to hear it from Randy Casey MATC men’s basketball team head coach, the hard work required for a successful year will take a daily effort from the coaching staff and the players.
“Our main goal is to grow and improve every game. Obviously any coach wants to win a conference title and the ultimate goal would be for us to make it back to the national tournament,” said Casey.
The Stormers are two years removed from their only appearance in the NJCAA Division III national tournament, and returning to it will take more than just wins. According to Casey, the players will need to maintain a constant focus on improving.  “They’ll need understanding of what it takes to get there, the hard work, the commitment to put in that work every single day and not get complacent.  Know that every day you have to get better and push yourself and each other to get better throughout the season, and not be happy where you are.”
Although no players remain from the 2011-2012 team to help spread that message, Casey is counting on leadership from Alex Oldenburg, Jermaine Brisco and Josten Sanchez, three returning sophomores from last year. They’ll be joined by a promising group of freshmen and transferring sophomores, none more promising so far than Thomas Hood, Jr. Hood, a freshman from Chicago, led the Stormers with 24 points and nine rebounds in their season opening victory against St. Ambrose University’s junior varsity squad on Nov. 1.
Casey welcomes the idea of continued success by Hood but not without echoing the message of teamwork and of avoiding complacency. “He can definitely help us. There are some clear areas where he can improve though. And we’re hoping we can get some other guys to step up and fill the spots where we know they can too.”
The biggest area that Casey said needs improvement so far, is taking care of the ball. “Turnovers, knowing that every possession is important. Executing our things a little better,” said Casey.
It could be an uphill battle with the team operating on the court with a more quickened pace than usual. “We’re playing a little more uptempo. We want to get up and down the floor. That being said, we also have to be under control. It can sound a little contradictory. You want to play uptempo, but yet under control. Know when something is there and when you need to pull it back out and set something up,” said Casey.
The new style is not without some positives, at least for those on the hardwood and in the stands. “I think it makes it a more exciting game for the players and the fans,” said Casey without hinting what that added level of excitement would mean for the man at the helm.