A true artist at heart

Entering the house of Photography student James Frame is like entering into a gallery. There is art everywhere you turn, from poster-sized photographs on the walls, to drawings in his kitchen, and even a superhero sculpture that he made, placed in his living room. Frame is a true artist.

Although he received his first camera a number of years ago, it wasn’t until five years ago that he realized his love for photography.

Frame had just lost his job, and even though he was still actively involved with his drawings, he felt something was missing. “It was lonely at the drawing table,” he said.

After a few seconds of thought, the idea of photography came into his mind. He put together a quick portfolio, and after a rather short period, was working as a photographer.

Frame describes himself as an artist with an edgy style. “I like a lot of punchy colors and contrast in my work.” Frame added that he wants to create an “image of impact, something that people can’t just walk by; they have to stop to look at it.”

Although he has been compared to Helmut Newton, a famous fashion photographer, Frame, himself, had never heard of him until he started attending MATC.

Frame does admit to having a similar style, but added, “I try not to be influenced by other photographers.” Frame believes that if people strive to shoot like other photographers, they wouldn’t be striving to be on the cutting edge.

Frame explained that most of his models are just friends, but admitted that if he has a girlfriend, she will also find herself in front of a camera. He added that he has worked with professional models as well.

“But if I’m walking on the street and I see somebody who strikes me, they most probably will end up on one of my photos.” Before MATC, Frame attended Southern Illinois University, and St. Louis Community College as an art major.

“I always wanted to be a comic book illustrator,” he said. Frame started doing superheroes at 12 years old and had his first job doing cartoons for the Alton Telegraph, which is like the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Frame stated that the photography program here has been the best program he’s attended thus far. “The instructors here are very demanding, but it’s because they want you to be the best,” Frame said.

Frame’s only complaint is that students have to waste class time to check out equipment.

Frame wishes that there was a way to have somebody available on a regular bases in order to allow students to check out the equipment without taking away from class time.

Frame is currently working on a series called Bomber Girls.

It may be just a work in progess, but it has already won first place in the Shepherd Express photo contest. He also has some of his work being displayed at the Alchemist Theater located at 2569 S. Kinnickinnic.

His next project is working with the Alchemist to do publicity for an upcoming play, Dracula.

For more information on this, or to become one of his Bomber Girls, contact Frame at [email protected]. Concerning the Bomber Girls, he is looking for women with lots of tattoos and “a sexy attitude.”

“I love photography so much, if I was a millionaire I would open a studio and shoot for free for the rest of my life,” Frame said.

He added that students should feel free to approach him if they see him in the halls.

“Don’t be afraid to stop me and talk to me,” he said, and added jokingly, “and I’m single by the way.