• “A world of grief and pain flowers bloom—even then.”– Kobayashi Issa

A storm was brewing at Miller Park

On May 15, the MATC Athletic Department had their Annual Gala Stormers Athletic Awards. Trisha Maurer (Women’s Volleyball captain), who also won the Athlete Director’s Award, did a great job as a Master of Ceremonies. But the big winner of the night was Yanette Feagin, who won eight awards and was presented with an honorable mention for her great job with women’s basketball.

One of the most touching moments was when Carl Morency, who until recently was our Athletic Director, gave thanks to the MATC athletes for all the wonderful experiences they had given him. He said he was moving on to a new stage of his career, but in his heart always will be a Stormer.

Brittany Wahlen (Woman’s Volleyball) was presented with a special award for her work as an athlete, but also for all her involvement in general with the Athletic Department. Mellisa Blessington, who presented this award, said “She may not be the tallest, but she is the one with the most passion and enthusiasm on and off the court.”

The Davis Family Band was playing while the athletes were enjoying this time with their family and friends. Everything was perfect, from the beautiful centerpieces filled with hundreds of photos of athletes that people could take home, to the amazing food. This couldn’t have been a better night.

This event concluded with a special award presented to Assistant Athletic Director Carrie Grulke for all her hard work in this department. She thanked all the athletes for a great season and also for their social work throughout the community.