Athletes once again give back to our community

On February 8, members of the men’s basketball team were keeping track of the score of all the enthusiastic teams at the Milwaukee Special Olympics, which was held at St. Vincent High School in Milwaukee. “I think it is a great thing to help out here at the Special Olympics,” said Head Coach Randy Casey. He added, “It is a wonderful organization, and I think all of our guys so far are having a great time.”

Casey had stated that the whole athletic department is trying to get the athletes to do community service and give back to our community.

Assistant Coach Travis Morozek was very touched when they asked him to play with one of the teams, the Milwaukee Thunder Birds. “They were short one guy and I was very happy to help,” he said, ” and even if we lost 16 to 63, to me it was a great experience!”

“One of the things I see here is it isn’t about scoring points to get your name in the paper, for them it is about having fun,” said Morozek. “(It’s about) playing with your teammates and accomplishing something as a team,” he added.

“We accept anyone,” said Jodie Theis, one of the organizers of this event who also works with Milwaukee Public Schools. She said that they train throughout the year and have 14 different sports to chose from. Theis says she loves working with the participants because “these people have great hearts.”

Theis is enthusiastic about working with MATC. “We love the collaboration we get from the athletic department and want to continue this partnership with them,” said Theis.

For anyone interesting in participating in the Special Olympics or simply wants to attend one of their games, they can go to www.milwaukeerecreation.net. Theis added, “All of our games are free of charge and we welcome everyone.