• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

Earth Day Celebration kicks off

Downtown Campus Student Senator, Brian Galecke was very happy about the turnout in the cafeteria for the Downtown Campus Earth Day Celebration held on Wednesday April 27. Galecke said, “This is actually our first event here on campus, but it has been a year in planning.” Passers-by were able to learn about the Earth and what they can do to conserve energy and be more friendly to the environment.

Diana Galindo of Student Government volunteered as tables were set up with a series of computers so that observers could watch a 20 minute video that explained how they can recycle bottles and buy energy efficient refrigerators.

Participants learned just how much they could save by doing so, and how they could become more conscience in recycling glass containers vs. plastic. There was even a tap water and bottled water taste test.

Uniquely, Galindo found that, “We’ve had more people say that they prefer tap water, not knowing that they liked tap.”

The burning question that the volunteers from student government hoped to bring out from the attendees was, “What are they going to do to be more energy conscience?” Galindo explained that some people are influenced by agreeing to take a shorter shower, or water their lawns on odd days, or even days.

Some participants have already taken a step by putting energy efficient light bulbs throughout their entire house.

The hope is that someone influenced by such fairs will reduce mass volume consumption.

And the ways to save and improve keep coming. The previous mentioned ideas are just some of the ideas used as well as low cost academic ones like choosing rented textbooks as opposed to buying new ones.

Some of these thoughts come from the actual students who posted such suggestions on the wall in the Student Government office.

Galindo said, “That way we can see that together, we are making a conscience effort energy wise to not leave such of a big footprint on the planet.”

Attempts were made to make the interactive learning fun. People would get a card and then they put their name on it.

As they go to each station to participate in the activities the card was stamped. There was a recruiting table for interested students to become part of Student Government next fall. The goal of Student Government is to get 50 students on board at the Downtown Campus.

Galindo said, “We’re the largest campus, therefore, we want to be the most effective and we want the most students to be able to participate.” Although the official Earth Day was April 22, the Earth Day Celebration was following up as an additional model to educate and influence the people on campus.

Galindo smiled and asked, “Will they use energy efficient thermostats because of us? Will they use solar panels? We just want them to continue to learn so that this planet will be around for a long time.” The entire event was put together solely by Student Government, and they even brought in a band, ‘Tim Rush Drum Duo,’ that uses recycled materials to play their instruments.

At this time, no sponsors were in conjunction with this particular event but Galindo hopes that by next year, there will be.

To help make a difference or learn what you might have missed, go to M324 to learn more.