Ask the JOBshop – How do I get a job on campus?

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

If you are a current student looking for a student worker position, here are a few ways to get started. 

If you are interested in working in a particular department, like the cafeteria or library, just ask someone who works in that department if they have any student worker positions available.  You also can ask your instructors if they are using student workers and apply for the position.

You also can look at the posted positions on  Bring up the website, click on Misc. Jobs, click on Milwaukee Area Technical College and then scroll down to the work study heading.  You will find various jobs listed including how to contact the supervisor. You can always use the computers located in the JOBshop in Room S114 and the website can also be accessed from any computer.

There are two types of student worker positions – one is work study and the other is budgeted.  If you have applied for financial aid, then you might be eligible for work study funds.  You should receive an award letter letting you know the amount of your work study award.  For work study positions, you need to be enrolled in at least six credits and the positions allow up to 16 hours per week.

If you are not eligible for financial aid, then you would look for a budgeted student worker position.  These positions are paid by the department that hires you.  For budgeted positions, you need to be enrolled in at least three credits and will be allowed to work up to 19 hours per week.

Once you have been selected for a student worker position, your supervisor can print off enrollment forms from the MATC website:

Both you and your supervisor need to complete the enrollment forms and submit them to the JOBshop in Room S114 or at the email address  Once the completed enrollment paperwork is submitted to the JOBshop, it is reviewed and then passed along to the Human Resources department for processing.  Once the paperwork is received back from HR, then the time sheets are created, which can take up to 10 days.  Time sheets will be emailed to the supervisor. 

If you need help, call 414-297-6244.  Good luck with your job hunting.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email