• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Legal help to apply for Social Security Disability

Dear Student Legal Clinic,I injured my back at my last job. I also have some mental health problems that I take medication for, but several times a year I end up in the hospital. I think I should be eligible for Social Security Disability. I have looked at the application, but it looks too complicated. Can I get help filling it out?

And, is it worth it to apply? I heard a lot of people just get urned down.

Signed, Kenneth

Dear Kenneth,

Applying for Social Security Disability can be a long and difficult process. There are agencies to help you through the process, as well as attorneys in private practice.

To find out if you qualify for assistance, call Community Advocates at 414-449-4777 between noon and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. You will be asked questions over the phone about your disability and other conditions you might have. If Community Advocates decides that they can assist you, you will be given an appointment.

You may also call Disability Rights Wisconsin and talk to one of their Disability Benefit Specialists. You can reach them at 414-773-4646 or TTY at 888-758-6049. They can also advise or represent you on other disability-related matters such as discrimination in employment or housing.

Many people do get denied for Social Security Disability benefits. If you or your friends have been denied by Social Security and have requested a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge, you may be eligible for services from Legal Action of Wisconsin at 414-278-7722 or the Legal Aid Society at 414-727-5300.

Many attorneys in private practice represent people at Social Security Disability hearings. You can call the Milwaukee Bar Association Lawyer Referral at 414-274-6768 to find an attorney.

For more information and referrals on legal problems, call the Legal Clinic at 414-297-6630, stop in Room M326 or e-mail [email protected].