Women in Technology collaborate on solar panel

Photo by Mike Hiller/Times

Women in Technology student Earrainia Macon shows off a newly constructed solar panel to Cesar Perz, a potential student, and educates him on the benefits of solar power during MATC’s Open House on Nov. 9 at the Downtown Milwaukee campus.

At this year’s Open House on Nov. 9, the Women in Technology proudly presented one of their latest projects, a solar panel.
The Women in Technology Center houses resources and network opportunities for students that are in nontraditional occupation programs. The center is also home to the Women in Technology student organization. Nontraditional occupations are careers with 25 percent or less of one gender employed.
“The center is a space for females to come and network, regardless of what program they are in,” said Nutan Amrute, coordinator of the Women in Technology Center. “Women in technology rock,” said Dorothy Jackson, member of the Women in Technology Center. “Come over and take a look at what is possible for you. If you see it, you can do it.”
The center is open to all students on campus. They are stationed downtown in room T200  Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. “It’s a great way to meet people in network and also get support as far as classes and different career possibilities,” said Maria Stubbendick, treasurer for Women in Technology.
The organization is always interested in bringing more women into their organization to work on projects.
Serita Campbell, secretary for the Women in Technology student organization, mentioned it took around two months to plan and create the solar panel. The original planning for the solar panel was brought up by Campbell and fellow member Alex Peterson. “It shows that women in a nontraditional field can really do things,” said Campbell. “Putting this thing together made me feel proud; it shines a light on women in general actually doing things in a technical field.”
Many of the members who contributed to the solar panel project didn’t have that much experience in a technical field. “We try to stick together and do what we have to do to help each other and we’re like a little family,” said Earrainia Macon, member of the Women in Technology student organization.
Stubbendick mentioned that during the building process, each of the members got a chance to contribute as they used a rotation style to put the solar panel together. They put a lot of work and effort into making this solar panel and were rewarded by presenting the solar panel at the open house. “We get to show off our work and everybody gets to see what we do,” said Brandi Burnett, vice president of the organization. “We’re working and using our skills and knowledge and creating useful and resourceful energy.” The center also has plans to build a self-sufficient generator in the future.
“The solar panel was assembled at the center by the students that are also a part of the organization. It’s the best of both worlds for students,” said Amrute.
The Women in Technology members hope their work on the solar panel and other projects will inspire other female students to get involved in a nontraditional field. The students’ goal is that by the time they leave the center, they will have left their mark for women in pursuit of careers in a nontraditional field.
Ocie Buckner, president of the Women in Technology student organization, states that the opportunities for women in a nontraditional field are great. Buckner mentioned that they will have workshops available for women who have an interest in joining the center or any other nontraditional program.
The Women in Technology student organization is proof that women are out there in nontraditional fields. Students put in the work and let other people see what can be accomplished. The organization is always looking to get better and work on even bigger projects to grow in their fields. If you are a woman looking to pursue work in a nontraditional field, consider joining the Women in Technology student organization and become a part of their family.