Student Government honors veterans

Photo by Jose DeHoyos/Times

On Veterans Day, student government members hand out cake and flags to honor veterans at the West Allis Campus.

Anyone who passed by the West Allis campus cafeteria on  Monday, Nov. 11 was surprised with a sweet treat, a product sample, and miniature American flags.
Student Life once again celebrated Veterans Day by passing out cake to students, visitors and faculty. It was just a little token of appreciation to the men and women that have served our country.
Molly Schalinske and Antoinette Jackson are members of Student Government and spent their afternoon handing goodies out to anyone who wanted them. Schalinske, a medical assisting student, stated, “We handed out cake to honor Veterans Day, just to show our thanks to all that serve and continue to serve.” Jackson, who is in the liberal arts program, added, “I thought it was great handing out cake and just seeing people smile.” The women felt it was important to show tribute to veterans because they both have family members who have served. “My grandfather fought in the Korean War,” Schalinske shared. “It means a lot that students care and want to show their thanks.” The turnout was good; a full sheet cake was given out within 45 minutes. Jackson concluded saying, “I think it went well and if people didn’t want cake, they took a flag out of respect.”
Alice Young, who is working on her accounting degree, passed by and identified herself as a proud veteran. She entered the Army when she was 18 and was management specialist for eight years. “The most rewarding part of being in the military was growing up and the maturity.” Young feels that the positive benefits are important, “It gives you an opportunity to get ahead financially and it was a wonderful experience.” She states that it has also helped her later in life adding, “I am able to go to the VA hospital and they take care of my medical needs.” Young says this is something that will stay with her forever.
Veterans surround us every day, often unknowingly. They deserve to be celebrated for their dedication and hard work to protect us and our country. Everyone enjoyed the cake and waved their American flags proudly in acknowledgment and remembrance. This annual tradition will continue to show gratitude to veterans.

It means a lot that students care and want to show their thanks.

— Molly Schalinske, medical assisting student