Getting the facts on the new student insurance

District Student Senate supports insurance policy

Printed version of the story.

Changes are inevitable and this year a new student insurance policy has been introduced. Although an email was sent out regarding this mandatory $7 accident insurance, many of us have been too busy to notice. Here are a few things you need to know briefly about the insurance according to the Student Life director, Archie Graham. Also, you can obtain more information on insurance online or in the  Student Life office.
This policy applies to all students who are taking more than one-credit courses on campus. Be aware; the policy does not apply to students taking online courses, basic skills and GED/HSED classes.
All four campuses have applied this insurance policy and it comes in handy for covering internships, clinical settings, and other destinations students must travel for school.
The charge is worked into our registration process and is $6 plus a $1 transaction fee each semester. Because it was worked into our student fees it is mandatory. “You are charged automatically, there is no way to separate the two,” Graham explained. “It is a cheap accident insurance for anything that could happen to and from school.”
So if you are a college student traveling to and attending class on campus you are covered. “Costs probably come out to pennies a day,” Graham stated (in regards to the upfront amount). There are other standard limitations and exclusions that apply.
For the most part they are typical guidelines many insurance companies employ.  For example, if an incident happens while you are driving to school and you do not have a valid driver’s license you will not be covered.
The insurance provides basic coverage with no deductibles. If you already have insurance coverage from another company, this insurance may be a secondary means and not implemented. Anyone who would like to have the insurance policy ready to go in case of an accident is going to need an insurance ID card. This card will provide billing information and account numbers. Although you are covered at all times (within standards), you will need this information to get immediate help if a situation may arise. “Students are going to receive an email soon,” Graham shared. “Information from the insurance company to follow instructions, log on to the website and register, you will then get your card.”
As full-time or part-time college students, we have hectic, often stressful, schedules.
This policy was put into place to take a little worry out of our lives. Graham stated, “It is a unique service that other students (District Student Senate) felt was a part that was lacking in supporting students to getting their education.”
By taking a few what ifs off the table, this is a gesture that will be appreciated. “To always know you are covered so that you do not have to worry when you are coming to school here is definitely a plus,” Graham added. The student insurance is new to our school this year, but not to technical colleges across Wisconsin. It can be used at any time, so make sure to check your email for the message on more information. We should see this email in the next couple weeks.
Ultimately the benefit of accident insurance to and from school and also on campus is a positive change for the 2013 school year. With any new policy many questions will come up, only time will tell the outcome of this new policy. “I think it is a way to have peace of mind, similar to having auto insurance. You don’t want to use it, but when you need it you want it to be there,” Graham concluded.
Just like any other common procedure such as financial aid, the process will have its pros and cons, but in the end it is nice to know the school has our back, literally.
Let’s all have a safe school year and even though you may be covered, we should all be careful around campus. If you have any more questions go to www.gallagherkoster.com or speak to an adviser for more information.