• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Letter to Editor

I am writing this letter as a suggestion for a possible article on stereotyping. Stereotyping is a subject that I feel needs to be written about so as to make people more aware of the negative effects that is can have on others.

I recently completed a project for an early childhood education class that involved researching and interviewing a Hispanic family. I interviewed a twenty seven year, fourth generation Hispanic mother of four children. I asked her about her family and her spouse’s family and how they all interact with one another. I also asked her about her cultural beliefs and her views on raising children. She answered all of my questions and provided me a greater insight into the modern day Hispanic culture.

At the conclusion of my interview I asked her if there were any issues that she wished could get solved that would help better support her family or other families like her own. She told me the only thing that she wished she could get solved is that she does not like to be stereotyped or judged by others.

She feels that because she is a younger Hispanic mother of four often times others judge her and assume that she is not a good parent or that she is poor and her children do not have what they need. I believe that a well written article may serve to educate the public and could be enlightening to so many of us that stereotype or judge sometimes without even realizing it.

I know that I would not want to be categorized by others simply based on my race and number of children I have. Please consider publishing an article to acknowledge stereotyping and educate to help reduce or prevent it.

Sincerely,

Amanda Whitinger