• “A world of grief and pain flowers bloom—even then.”– Kobayashi Issa

Mandatory student accident insurance next fall

Printed+Version
    Photo by MATC Times
    Printed Version

The District Student Senate (DSS) which is comprised of student representatives from all four campuses, voted several months ago to implement a $50,000 accident/injury insurance policy for only $6.75 per semester.
    Archie Graham, director of Student Life, said, “The student government did some research and found that local companies were concerned about the insurance issue. Employers offering internships have been reluctant to take on students for liability sake.”
     Coverage will include: hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, labs and x-rays, physician office visits, ambulance, durable medical equipment, emergency care and prescription drugs, all with no deductible.
    A student would be covered while on campus, attending or participating in a college-sponsored or recognized activity, including clinicals. This includes travel to and from the student’s home and campus within the entire state of Wisconsin. It needs to be understood that this is not private health insurance. The fee is mandatory and will be put on the student’s bill.
    Graham said, “Financial aid will pick up the fee” (if you qualify for financial aid). Any licensed provider will be covered.
    According to Graham, at least three other technical colleges have implemented the insurance already. The only students who will not be able to take part in the plan are non-credit, avocational, and entirely online students.
    Students enrolled in part classroom, part online classes are eligible as well but coverage ceases when the student leaves the college. Insurance ID cards will be available online.
    This is scheduled for the fall semester. Graham said that all of the final details have not been worked out yet, but this is to give students a heads up on the plan.
    More details will be forthcoming, and school-related injuries and/or accidents will be one less thing for the students to worry about.