• Despite the forecast, live like it's spring. — Lilly Pulitzer

Rummage for a cause

The Mequon Student Government recently organized and ran a rummage sale fundraiser to benefit survivors of the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck the country of Japan. According to an inter-office email, a total of $150.86 was raised with additional cash donations making it just over $200.00 total.

The Student Government at the campus was then allowed to match the above amount from their private Student Life fund.

The grand total amounted to $430.00, with the entire amount going directly to the American Red Cross. Remaining items from the rummage were donated to Advocates of Ozaukee, Repairers of the Breach and St. Vincent De Paul, Port Washington.

Rita Wood, Advisor and Coordinator of Student Life stated that there is a certain process that all students must follow, not only for attended events but for created ones as well. It takes a while to process results as every step before, and after is noted in extensive paperwork and minutes.

According to Justin Kraemer, President Student Government, there is a fund for Student Life every semester. It is a private student government account that saves money raised from various events throughout the year. One such event is a pool tournament. Another revenue source are the pool tables themselves as it costs around fifty-cents per game. The senate then meets and decides the best way to use the funds. .

Students thought of the sale when they were cleaning out the senate office.

As for the choice to benefit Japan, Kraemer adds that “it was a group decision.” Students also contacted their friends and family for donations.

Flyers were posted for the event at the Mequon campus and on the community boards at the Cedarburg Fiddleheads, The Hub, Cedarburg Roastery and Harris Bank.

Kraemer mentioned that events such as the above fundraiser were one of “the reasons why I joined.” Adding that not only are they, “doing something for MATC, and our community” (but also) “providing actual results (of our) tax payer dollars at the Mequon campus”.

For the Japan fundraiser, it will be noted with the American Red Cross as an exclusive donation from the MATC Mequon Campus.

Future events at Mequon include a Health and Wellness day and a Pumpkin carving contest with the children at the campus day care. Kraemer wishes to “drive student involvement up” and would also like to see more “students involved at Mequon” with the Times newspaper.

Just a reminder, recruitment for the Student Government and the MATC Times newspaper will start this September when the fall semester begins. We hope to see you there. Here is the list of the individuals at the Mequon Campus who participated in the fundraiser for Japan:

Rita Wood, Advisor/Coordinator of Student Life. Barb Pinkowski, Student Life Staff. Justin Kraemer, President Mequon Student Government. Nichole Snyder, Vice President Mequon Student Government. Kaitlin Campbell, Secretary Mequon Student Government. Jessica Pizzino, Treasurer Mequon Student Government. Cole Kriegel, Emily Bohem and Karen Vogel, Student Representatives Mequon Student Government.