• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Five Star evening, food, folks and fun

This year’s Five Star Food and Wine Evening was definitely one for the record books.

Held on March 8, raising approximately $25,000, it left those in attendance wondering, “Where have we been? The food is amazing,” said Rusti Moffic, an attendee, whose husband ate ten pulled pork sandwiches.

The event featured cuisine from France, Italy, Asia and Latin America, along with a carving and pastry station.

All of the food was prepared by the students and a portion of the proceeds went to the Hospitality programs for scholarships.

Ticket sales topped last year with 445 tickets sold vs. the 390 that were sold last year.

One might say this increase was due to the attendance of Suzanne Schlicht, MATC Culinary Apprentice graduate and finalist in last season’s Hell’s Kitchen (FOX TV).

When asked during a coffee shop interview what she would like to say to Hell’s Kitchen Star Chef Gordon Ramsay, she said, “I’d buy him a coffee and pick his brain on how he became such a great chef. He is a very sane man. He is a very smart man. He is a very great businessman.”

Schlicht currently lives in Las Vegas and works in Caesar’s Palace, but returned to give back to MATC. During the event she worked the crowd, taking time to talk to fans and help in the cake auction which raised $350 alone.

Being the youngest of 11 kids and growing up on 45th St. and Keefe Ave., Schlicht realizes the importance of being, “a part of your community, giving back to your community and teaching your community because that’s who listens to you.”

She went on to add that, “MATC taught me that if you set your mind to something, go and get the education, you can do it, and do it very affordably.