• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Historic Wisconsin women held panel at Mequon

What started out as a week-long celebration has now grown into the designation of March as Women’s History month. In commemoration of International Women’s Day, Rose Lee, sociology instructor, organized an event at Mequon Campus entitled “Why we celebrate women and their successes.” Everyone was welcomed by Gloria Pitchford-Nicholas, Dean of Pre-College Education and Marcia Clarke-Yapi, Associate Dean, who introduced the guest speakers.

Community Activist, Ruth Zubrensky’s own family background has strong roots in the fight against injustice and she has written two books.

She focused her talk on her memories with Coretta Scott before she became the wife of Martin Luther King, Jr. Zubrensky knew Scott from their college days and fondly said, “It was a lucky accident of history that she was my roommate.” She adds “Of course neither of us knew how our lives would play out. “

Zubrensky spoke of “serious conversations about the state of race relations” that she would engage in with Cory (Mrs. King’s college nickname) and her older sister, Edythe Scott. She also read the audience excerpts from Coretta Scott King’s book, “My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr.”

Zubrensky spoke of when she was able to sign King’s book, which was inscribed:

“To Ruth with love and gratitude, for the dedication to the ideals of justice, brotherhood and peace. Cory, Coretta Scott King.”

Shirley Abrahamson is the Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court and a recipient of multiple awards and honorary degrees. She shared her ideals and the responsibilities that women still have to work on even after so much progress.

“There is still a long road ahead for all of us, to live in a world free from discrimination, free from poverty, in a world filled with peace. And that’s what we should be working for.”

Abrahamson adds, “We (should) keep doors open for all of us; men, women, whatever our ways, our ethnic background. We should be helping everyone fulfill his or her destiny.”

Honorable Vel Phillips, civil rights activist, marched with Father James Groppi and the NAACP Youth Council. She was a colleague of Dr. King, a lawyer and judge. Phillips recalled her early days, and even though she made historic strides for women in male-dominated fields and for African Americans she added, “(It was) not a pretty picture.”

Phillips smiled and mentioned her early days running in politics and not having photographs directly released to the press or the public.

Phillips added that people would think of Vel as a man’s name and some said, “Oh we are voting for Vel. He’s a lawyer.” According to Phillips, her husband would add to the mystique by saying how impressed he was with this individual named Vel.

According to Phillips, men in the political sector would ask, “Are you going to run, honey? You look so young.”

Another story that brought a smile to her face was the time she used the men’s room at the courthouse and was later reprimanded by her mother, to which Phillips responded, “Mom, it’s for aldermen. And I’m an alderman.”

Congresswoman, Gwendolyn Moore grew up in Milwaukee and went to North Division High School and Marquette University.

She remembers early on how fellow students were firmly telling her to be in the student senate, or as she states, “Her life was enriched by reaching across the aisle.”

Moore discussed her admiration for Zubrensky and how she stood for civil rights, organized labor and “took on all that trouble.” She added that even today the journey for women “(Is a) baton race. You have to pass it on.