• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

GIS courses expanding

Dr. Wayne Schlipp, an instructor who brought GIS (Geographical Information Systems) to MATC in January 2003, explained how important GIS is to the world community and MATC. “There’s no limit to the amount of information GIS can be used for” says Schlipp. A special business version is coming soon, according to Schlipp.

GIS provides a method for creating data modeling in conjunction with mapping and statistics. Using rasters and vectors, it allows criminal investigators, engineers, geologists, city planners, marketing specialists as well as archaeologists to use GIS to enhance their research. The amount of workplaces where GIS is used has been growing steadily, according to Schlipp.

“MATC will be adding GIS Business Analyst Online as a course this fall (’09). In addition, we are getting another site license for 25 more additional computers in the M Building student study area,” says Schlipp. This new course will be part of the GIS certificate which is offered here.

GIS has been coined in some higher educational institutions as Geospatial Information Science (GISci). Colleges and universities are now offering bachelors as well as associate degrees in GIS.

Recently, in his West Allis Campus classroom, Dr. Schlipp expressed the importance to his students about understanding geography and map reading ability using GIS skills.

“Understanding what the data means and why is the key to how maps and statistical information is viewed in the workplace,” according to Schlipp.

Schlipp is well liked by his students due to his open attitude and realistic approach to teaching. Former student and Sheboygan native Nicholas Reseberg is currently employed in GIS as well as working on a GIS doctorate degree in California. Reseberg, a UWM transfer student and MATC graduate, had taken the GIS courses at MATC in fall 2004.

For more information about the GIS courses, contact your advisor or e-mail Dr. Wayne Schlipp at [email protected].

GIS.com also provides a full range of information about how GIS is used in the workplace by the software manufacturer ESRI.