• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

After 42 years, Benson was ready to retire

Not many people can say they’ve worked for the same place of business for 42 years, but Judy Benson can. Benson, Transcription Technician for the Technology and Applied Sciences Division, is retiring after 42 years of service.

Benson started here at in 1967 as a Steno Pool Secretary only three days after she graduated from high school. This was her first job. She was required to have a work permit because she was only 17 at the time.

Throughout her career she has watched five directors come and go as well as seen the institution’s name change three times before it finally became known as today’s MATC.

She’s has many accomplishments in her time here, including recognition in the Employee Appreciation Program in February, 1987, for her participation in Local 587.

Dean of the Technology and Applied Sciences Division, David Turner, described Benson as “a tremendous asset to the (Technology and Applied Sciences) Division.” He added, “She will be missed.”

As for Benson, she feels the college is heading in the right direction by working with the unions again.

“I’d really like to see the administration work on all levels with all of the unions for the betterment of the college. The main thing is valuing the input of all the employees on all levels.”

Benson plans to fill her retirement by helping with her new four-month-old grandson, volunteering at the Humane Society and getting more involved with her church.