• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Summer arriving warm and so is registration

According to school staff, registration figures are on the rise and classes are filling rapidly. Some classes are waitlisted while others are getting close to being filled. Certain courses have been doubled to accommodate new students. Additional diploma and certificate programs are being offered. The 34,000-square-foot Energy Conservation and Advanced Manufacturing Department (ECAM) in the Oak Creek Campus is doing just that.

There is strong interest in the August diploma program, and new certificate programs are being made available.

An earlier registration date has also contributed to the latest increase and interest in courses across all disciplines. Energy Engineering Technology, a 12-credit certificate and Sustainable Operations, a 9-credit certificate have been added to the gourmet of rich courses ECAM has made to get students in the workplace.

Power Engineering is running at full capacity, and the Computer Numerical Control (CNC), adding an additional group, has doubled manufacturing classes. Machine Tool at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus has been waitlisted.

During the height of the recession in a 2009 interview with Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education on the National Public Television Charlie Rose Show, Duncan said, “The status quo is not good enough. We must do more.we must educate our way to a better economy.”

It seems the new courses being offered and increase in enrollment is in response to that need in this time of economic recovery.

Jack Ryan, a first-time registering student, said, “I came to MATC to increase my skills..this is the best time to do that. I am pursuing what I desire most to do, learn.