• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Have your personal flu plan ready

MATC is stepping up to the plate to ensure the best possible outcome this flu season.Students and staff are strongly encouraged to visit www.matc.edu/h1n1 frequently, since it is certain the H1N1 situation will change throughout the semester.

There has also been an e-mail sent to all students as a guide to follow to help control the virus.

The e-mail lists precautions, symptoms and planning steps such as getting a thermometer, Ibuprofen and tissues.

Students need to know signs like having a fever or sore throat means you should stay home, isolating yourself and implementing your personal plan.

This plan should be tailored to the individual according to their needs. Be sure to notify your instructor in the event you become sick

Faculty is also developing a department plan with program-specific information regarding flu cases.

Students should have accurate contact information including address, phone, mobile phone, e-mail and emergency contacts.

Instructors will be discussing flexibility regarding assignments and attendance for students out sick.

Anne Sheridan, RN, the Wellness and Risk Management Coordinator at MATC advises students to educate themselves and others on the situation, get vaccinated and “wash your hands and practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette.”

MATC will be offering seasonal flu shot for $30 and pneumonia shot for $45.

The following chart gives the dates and locations for these shots. Keep in mind that this is not the H1N1 swine flu vaccine.