Summit earns rave reviews

Printed+Version
    Photo by Matc Times
    Printed Version

A life-changing experience is how several students described the 10th Annual Sustainability Summit and Exposition hosted by MATC March 6 and 7 in Milwaukee’s Delta Center.  The feedback from Summit attendees – students and nonstudents alike – has been overwhelmingly positive.
    For the third year in a row, total Summit attendance topped  3,000.  This represented a big increase in average daily attendance-up more than 30 percent-because the conference portion was reduced to two days instead of three.  There was standing-room only in Ballroom AB for many of the keynote speakers.
    Among the most popular presenters was Milwaukee’s own Will Allen, founder and CEO of Growing Power, Inc., who took a packed Thursday morning Summit audience on a fascinating illustrated tour of his Good Food Revolution.  
    This was Allen’s third year at the Summit, and all were honored and inspired by his presence.  Will’s humility, dedication and achievements provide us a wonderful example of a giving and purposeful life.
    Dr. James E. Hansen warned us in no uncertain terms that time is running out for solutions to the challenges of human-caused (anthropogenic) climate change.
    One of the world’s most highly respected climate scientists, Dr. Hansen is Director of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies at Columbia University in New York City.
    Although Hansen is very selective in giving public talks, this is his second visit to the Summit.  (Hansen first appeared in 2009.)  As with Will Allen, we are highly honored that he accepted our invitation.
    After documenting the
    overwhelming and conclusive evidence of global warming and its many destructive impacts (such as severe droughts, extreme storms and rising sea level), Dr. Hansen turned his attention to solutions.  
    We must reduce our output of greenhouse gases (principally carbon dioxide) or face a dramatically degraded, less habitable planet in the future.  
    Hansen’s solution is to impose a fee on fossil fuels (coal, oil and natural gas) at their sources to help pay for many negative impacts and level the energy playing field to stimulate transition to clean energy sources.
    Bill Quirmbach, Summit logistics, exhibits and workshops chair, observed, “The 2013 was a success in providing a varied experience to the novice as well as to the highly trained and committed professional.  There were experiences related to business, the home and personal lifestyle as well as to the larger issues of our state, nation and world.”
    Mary Pat Halaska, Summit publicity and marketing chair and sponsorship and program co-chair, recorded the following comments: “The Sustainability Summit is a stimulating and fun conference that brings together great minds from across business and academia to talk about trends that will change the public landscape and improve the world.”
    “This was one of the best conferences that I have attended in the last few years.  Well organized, lots of useful and informative presentations.  I had an opportunity to meet and network with a number of subject matter experts and colleagues.” “What an outstanding event!” Inspirational, educational and fun. I really gained a lot of knowledge and met so many interesting and terrific people!  Looking forward to next year!”
    Next year, MATC will host the 11th annual Sustainability Summit and Exposition, March 26 and 27 in the Delta Center.  Save the date!