• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Garage gets a green light

Brighter days and nights are ahead for students using the 8th Street Parking Garage.The MATC parking structure on 8th and State Streets has been implemented with greener lighting technology commonly known as LED or light emitting diode.

The project received a bright send off during a ribbon cutting and speeches on August 25.

According to a statement by Kathleen Hohl, Communications and Events Director, 511 new Beta LED lighting units replaced older sodium vapor fixtures in the 8th Street garage, which provides parking for over 900 vehicles.

Beta LED of Sturtevant, Wisconsin, manufactures the LED lighting units.

Dr. Vicki Martin, MATC Interim President stated, “This project is another sign of Milwaukee Area Technical College’s commitment to sustainability.”

Hohl also stated, “LED lighting saves MATC about 55% in energy consumption costs. This should be a welcome move during this period of budget cuts and the current economic recession.”

Speakers included Dr. George Stone, MATC Natural Science instructor and internationally known energy advocate, as well as Don Albinger, Vice President, Renewable Energy Solutions of Johnson Controls, Milwaukee.

Others in attendance included MATC District Board member Fred Royal, Jr., MATC staff, city officials and members of the media.