Veterans can receive a no-cost education

Many veterans are eligible to receive a college education at no cost to them.According to a recent White House statement, colleges around the country are participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program, including 30 Wisconsin colleges.

This program is an agreement with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to assist in financial aid to veterans who are a part of the post-9/11 GI Bill program. “The Yellow Ribbon Program, a provision of the new Post-9/11 GI Bill, funds tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate,” according to the statement.

“Institutions can contribute up to 50% of those expenses, and the VA will match this additional funding for eligible students.”

As stated, this program will assist in tuition, books, fees and housing, and it is for training pursued “on or after August 1, 2009.” Benefits for tuition and fees are paid directly to the school.

Eligible veterans are those who are eligible for the post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% level. “This includes those who served at least 36 months on active duty or served at least 30 continuous days and were discharged due to a service-related injury,” according to the statement.

Although the list does not include MATC, it does include colleges such as UWM and Marquette, which MATC has agreements with. Those agreements will allow for an easy transfer.

For a full list of colleges, go to http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/YRP/states/wi.htm.

For further information on this program or any other VA educational programs, call 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551)
    or visit the VA’s website, www.gibill.va.gov.