• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Students accommodating students

There seems to be a certain negative stigma that comes along with having a disability. This can inhibit some students from seeking help, but there are students, such as Sandra Richardson, Human Services student, and Pastry Arts student, David Woolfolk who are here to motivate by example.When Woolfolk was in high school he was a D- student and when he first came here he scored low on his accuplacer tests but now has two scholarships under his belt and thinks of himself, “just like the little (engine) that could.”

He goes on to say that as a male there was a stereotype that it is not “macho” to ask for help but is so thankful he did because it made him understand that, “with knowledge comes power.”

Sandra’s story is one of triumph. Stuttering a lot as a child and being told she was too stupid to do anything, she is currently in the process of obtaining her associates degree with an honors GPA as well as putting the finishing touches on her book, twenty-five twelve.

They both feel that Student Accommodations gets a “bad wrap”, explaining that a lot of people think you need to be in a wheelchair or have a severe mental illness to receive services.

This is not always the case, as long as you have a documented disability, whether you have a bad back, are hard of hearing or have carpel tunnel, Student Accomodations may be able to help.