• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Anesthesia Tech a knock-out career

With 27 different health programs to choose from, it can be difficult deciding which one is right for you. Erwin Wuer, Cardiovascular Technology and Anesthesia Technology program director, wants students to know about what he calls “a well kept secret.” The Anesthesia Technology (AT) Associates degree program is a great way to jump start a good career in a growing field. According to him, students could “ideally be employed within three years with a great starting salary (up to $45,000 per year) and opportunities to expand.” Students can also take this degree and transition to a four year college with Junior standingAn Anesthesia Technologist is the ‘right hand’ to the Anesthesiologist. As an AT, you will get to the operating room before the anesthesiologist to set up, calibrate and run checks on the machines. You will also stick around to perform any trouble shooting that may be needed.

When asked why only 12 students a year were accepted into the program, Wuer responded, “We keep it small in order not over saturate the market. It also helps with getting a lot of hands on training in the labs.”

According to the Anesthesiology Technology brochure, “the future looks bright as AT’s are in high demand and employment opportunities are exceptional.” Admission Requirements:

?High school diploma or GED

?Demonstration of proficiency in basic skills through a placement test

?One year of high school level or one semester of college level of algebra, biology, and chemistry or physics

Petition Requirements:

?Documentation of proper immunizations

?A?medical examination declaring good health

?Documentation that the Essential Job Functions have been reviewed. This is in keeping with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

?Documentation of compliance with Wisconsin’s Caregiver Law

?AHA CPR for Health Care Provider certification

?Anatomy and Physiology 1 and Medical Terminology (minimum grade B-)