Gone, but never forgotten

Students have lost one of their allies recently when Theresa Barry decided it was time to move on.Barry, Vice President of Student Services, left on good terms after working at MATC for over 20 years. She had been Vice President of Student Services since 2003.

Barry’s passion was the students, which was seen through the projects she had supported. When she first moved into the Vice President position she had many ideas she was able to see through fruition, such as allowing online registration and admissions.

However, she is sad that she wasn’t able to see healthcare for students come through. “I really wish I could have been able to see that all the way through,” Barry explained.

Although Barry will no longer be a part of the college anymore, she still plans on seeing what the outcome will be. According to Barry, Archie Graham, Student Services, will take her place on the Healthcare Committee.

Barry also desires to hear about the feedback on the Welcome Center and see how far the U-Pass will go. “I think the U-Pass is in its infancy,” she stated.

“I am ready to try something different,” Barry explains as her reasons for leaving. She will finish her Ph.D. in Educational Policies and Leadership at Marquette this summer and believes this is the time to try something new.

Barry’s new position is the Dean of Students at Carroll University, a private college in Waukesha, starting in July. Although Barry describes the position as “similar,” she does explain there are plenty of differences.

Besides going from public to private, Carroll University is a much smaller school. Plus many of the students live on campus, which she jokes will keep her busy, “24-7, the problems multiply!”

Barry started in 1988 working in Outreach before moving to Student Services in 1995. “This college has been so good to me and I love the mission,” Barry explained. She also stated she has had the “honor” of working with “so many great people.”

However, it will be the students who Barry will miss the most. She describes the students’ events, where students get recognized and get awards, and people talk about their accomplishments as her highlights. “Those will be the things
    I miss.