Student has her cake and writes it too

Author, publisher and graphic arts student Teresa Rae Butler has written a new book entitled, “Eat the Damn Cake Ana May!” In it she takes the reader on a journey with her vibrant character, Ana May Charles whose world is filled with words that pop and sharp edged humor.Yet, chances are that somewhere in our life we have all met, known or are related to a woman like Ana May. She makes us feel a cornucopia of instant emotions, likes and dislikes while experiencing the social issues around us that we often forget.

Butler’s book transcends age and race. It brings us back to the art and magic that once surrounded Milwaukee and offers the reader to imagine that world again and possibly re-ignite it. One will also be reminded of their own personal struggles in Ana May, who has to overcome job loss, fire, creepy old boyfriends, bittersweet revenge and homeless shelters.

An intriguing aspect to the book is the locations that we wish we could visit amidst familiar landmarks and institutions like our own MATC. Additionally, Butler’s descriptions of food will have you running to the refrigerator for some “Country fried chicken, real mashed potatoes with the skins, spinach and cheese casserole, fresh baked apple pie and more well water”.

Butler recently remarked that she “dreamt of this book” and how it came to be from start to finish from her mind’s eye. Her daily drive to campus would often spark the creation of a character. Butler adds that,

“The best of your life is now, not in the past”.

More than a summer read, Ana May is a page turner that has the potential to be a new discovery for a Tyler Perry project. Let’s wish Butler luck with that possibility.