West Allis Campus expansion underway

From left
    Photo by Nick Patrinos
    From left

The West Allis Campus is finally getting some long-needed breathing room. A groundbreaking ceremony for a three-story, 3,200 square-foot addition, which will provide a science room, a computer lab, and a large general classroom, was held on June 17.

“We are in great need of classroom space,” said Pablo Cardona, vice president, West Allis Campus. However, with the compact residential location and needing to be sensitive to neighbors’ needs, “we designed the addition to stay within the campus’s existing boundaries,” Cardona added.

“A lot of students like to come here. It’s more convenient, so it draws more students,” said Joan Fechertner, Registration, Student Services. (The addition) makes more room for students and will offer more career training.”

The expansion will be built over the courtyard in the northeast section of the main building. With a cost of $950,000, the project will provide better opportunities for study in health occupations, electronics, information technology and other MATC programs.

“It’s a good idea,” said Clint Bodarske, an MATC student who goes to the West Allis Campus. “If it’s used for classrooms, then absolutely it’s a good idea.”

“It will make more room for students and have more technology, making teaching easier,” said Mohammad Kasraian, Economics instructor at the West Allis Campus. “(The technology) will provide more tools for teachers.”

“Any more room they can get will be needed, and it will be utilized,” Joan Fitzsimonos, another West Allis Campus student said.