• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Duane Rodriguez: A man of the Times

Duane Rodriguez has been walking the halls here for close to 30 years. Currently he is a Production Specialist working with MPTV. He started as a student with an interest in becoming a camera operator. Rodriguez chose MATC over Marquette and UWM because “they more or less taught theory, they really didn’t do very much at all. I wanted to be a camera guy; I wanted to grab a camera and start using it. It’s the best thing I could’ve done,” said Rodriguez.

As a student here, Rodriguez had an interest in shooting sports and was lucky enough to have an opportunity to work for the Milwaukee Brewers, running a television camera for their video board. He was also the music director for the radio station that MATC used to have.

After graduating, Rodriguez came back to visit old instructors and was encouraged to apply for an opening at the MPTV station, where he was hired and has remained ever since.

Throughout Rodriguez’s career he was fortunate enough to work with NBC and cover four Olympics; for his work he won four national Emmys.

“It was very humbling to win those; I’m very fortunate to help bridge that gap between what the college is and what the work force is. There’s no question

that the school will teach you how to be a professional,” said Rodriguez. Rodriguez writes the column “Compact Replay,” which can be found in every issue of the Times.

He also took part in covering the Super Bowl, while continuing to give lectures to students in labs to help prepare students for the work force.

His message to students is: “You can be whatever you want to be. Find your niche and you’ll find your way.