Filed under Uncategorized

MATC remembers Mary Teske

Some of the members of the team (not all were able to meet that morning). Front row (L to R)

Photo by Bob Hanson

A cherished member of MATC’s faculty was honored with a Tree Dedication Ceremony on October 15 at the Oak Creek Campus. Mary Jo Teske passed away August 28, of breast cancer. She worked for MATC for over 30 years, beginning her career at just 22 in 1980.

She was employed in various positions throughout her career, ultimately settling into the Student Services department as a scheduler.

Mary had a lasting and profound impact on everyone that she encountered, which was evident at the Dedication Ceremony. In attendance were family, friends and colleagues, many wearing pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.

“It means a lot. MATC was Mary’s life. She was a very dedicated employee and loved her job and the people she worked with,” stated Mary’s sister, Gayle Teske, who is also employed at MATC.

The ceremony was located in the courtyard and included key speakers Vicki Martin, Executive V.P. and Provost and Vice President of the Oak Creek Campus, John Stilp.

The speeches consisted of fond words and memories. “If everyone had the disposition of Mary the world would be a better place,” said Stilp after the ceremony. “This [memorial] will be here for a long time.” The Student Services Department hosted a reception following the ceremony

Mary Teske was also the inspiration for the assembly of Team MATC Oak Creek for the Susan G. Komen Walk/Race for the Cure. Twenty-five team members plus many additional friends and family members walked along Milwaukee’s Lakefront on September 26 in honor of Mary.

In less than 30 days, the team raised $2,775 for the Komen Fund. The team plans to make this an annual event.

A Ribbon for Mary’s Tree – Phyllis Teske (center), Mary Teske’s mother, hangs a ribbon on Mary’s tree at the dedication ceremony. (Bob Hanson)

Bob Hanson, Adviser MATC Times Newspaper

My philosophy: I believe my ultimate goal is to create a safe atmosphere of engaged learning. This is done with excellent communication skills and sound...