Student Senate serving students

Student government is an advocate for the MATC student. Senates of all four campuses are often called upon to settle a difference of opinion between faculty and a member of the student body. Only suggestions from the senate can be made to the college administration.

Normally, it is the senate’s duty to recommend improving our college experience. With feedback from the administration, student government sets a quarterly budget financed by student registration fees.

Higher student activity fees make conveniences like on campus ATM machines and the U-Pass a reality.

All official student organizations of our institution benefit from being recognized by the senate. The Chess Club or Criminal Justice Student Club, for example, can receive permission from our student government to advertise upcoming events on bulletin boards.

Clubs recognized can also receive financial endorsement of funds raised for specific club progression.

Transportation to out-of-state meetings to keep various student organizations aware of today’s developments is an important benefit the senate can offer, with respect to funding.

Student government’s monthly agenda includes making regular contact with college administration and student body. More often than not, these plans monitor obstacles outside of academic life.

An obstacle that Eric Kinnard, senate treasurer, often faces is the student choice of food recently narrowed down to a sole provider of the Grab ‘n Go cafeteria outlet.

Treasurer Kinnard of the Oak Creek Campus is very familiar with “our administration acting without consent of the senate.”

Senate actions are at times minimized when dealing with decisions of administration heads, especially in the case of the Grab ‘n Go.

So the senate focuses on matters which can be resolved currently. On November 11, Kinnard illustrated this in a meeting with other members of the Oak Creek Campus senate.

Wisconsin Student Government (WSG) invites senators from across the state to talk about issues their district faces. WSG conferences take place in Madison each February.

Our Student Senate, as a branch of Student Life, will ask WSG to freeze tuition for all of next year.

The senate will also propose a 100% refund if students select an incorrect class upon discovery after the first day. Current policy does not allow this.

This February, our senate will also recommend a 25› increase for every credit bought per student next semester.

This will provide funding for a trip to Washington, D.C. next March for representation within the American Student Association of Community Colleges.

A need for new senators representing other student organizations, like the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Club, was stressed by Kinnard in the meeting. Notable senate involvement is being requested from clubs like HVAC.

The senate will rule in favor of club functions held on campus as directly related to the senate. Another advantage is the senate lending a larger ear to grievances issued by senate prospects, the United Hispanic Club and Engineering Department.

These grievances can be forwarded more easily to the administration of vice presidency.

Kinnard reassured new senate members, “Don’t be afraid to stand up and voice your concerns.”

By joining the student senate, one can become aware of the importance of operating on behalf of the school community.

If you have interest in being nominated for the MATC student senate, you must have a petition with 25 signatures of friends and classmates endorsing you for general election candidacy.

You may receive this petition from the Office of Student Life within all four campuses of our district.