Pathway from student to teacher

Rosie Carter, Writing Center Educational Assistant, never thought that being laid off could be good.Yet, through the experience she found a career helping those in similar situations – having no job and needing to return to school after being in the workforce.

Now, as she is retiring, she wants to share her thoughts. Maybe others can see that being laid off doesn’t mean it’s the end, but it’s only the beginning. This is her story:

Retirement is a time of both happiness and regret. It is a time when I am elated about entering a new chapter in life, one of anticipated rest and enjoyment.

At the same time, I regret separating from everyday friends, coworkers, and especially, students, whose needs have become so important to me.

As I prepare for retirement, I begin to reflect on the experiences, achievements and rewards this college has given me.

My educational experience and work opportunities when I was a student led to a rewarding career in the Academic Support Writing Center. My experiences as a student and employee have been rewarding.

My personal experience as a nontraditional student is my success story that I share with students and others.

After many years in the workforce, I was laid off in 1985. Realizing I still had time to achieve a self-fulfilling career, the plan for my future became an illustration of what Langston Hughes’ poem, ‘Dream Deferred’ means to me.

I enrolled in classes here to get skills to reenter the workforce and work toward a degree for a professional career. I was given the opportunity to work various part-time student jobs.

These jobs exposed me to more learning experiences and the importance of serving students and meeting their academic needs, which directed my educational goal and career choice.

I earned a Liberal Arts associate degree, which laid the foundation for higher education; later, I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Concordia University and did graduate studies at UWM.

I started working part time in Academic Support in 1989 and was hired full time in 1991.

During the two+ years part time and 18 years full time, I have gained much knowledge and experience from the college, and I am pleased that we have helped many students to achieve their educational and career goals.

My last day of work will be December 22, 2009.

Best wishes,
    Rosie Carter