• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Experts educate community about mental health system

Discovering the resources available to people struggling with mental health or other related issues can be an overwhelming task.Even the most highly trained professionals in the field have difficulty navigating their way through the system.

Programs and services being offered by the state are often changed or even cut due to budget constrictions so keeping up with current resources is a constant challenge.

In an effort to simplify this process, Jewish Family Services began the Community Mental Health Education Program. This program helps professionals and volunteers in the mental health system increase their knowledge of where to find and access services in our community. “It’s about raising awareness about the mental health system.” Norma Gilson, JFS said, “There are so many small groups, we want people to know about every resource available.”

“What you need to know: Navigating the Mental Health System of Greater Milwaukee” was hosted by the Community Mental Health Education Program of JFS and ACCESS of MATC.

More than two hundred guests attended the fair held on November 5 at MATC’s downtown campus. Those attending ranged from mental health professionals to interested community members and consumers. Over twenty organizations participated in offering information about their services along with answering any questions guests may have had.

The conference was structured as a panel discussion. The panel consisted of experts from social services, legal, medical, advocacy, education and legislative fields who were presented with three anonymous case studies.

Following the disclosure of each study the panel was asked six questions concerning the issues per case. They replied with the different resources or organizations they would have utilized or suggested along with contact information and pros and cons, if applicable. Audience members were also encouraged to suggest any additional resources by writing the source on index cards available on each table.

Despite the heavy issues presented in the case studies, the overall tone of the conference was pleasant. Many of the attendees seemed to find a sense of relief by having a current understanding of the resources available to them.”While many people recognize the shortcomings in the current system, this program focuses on getting the most out of the system as it currently exists.” Amy Waldman, Coordinator, ACCESS of MATC said. Another conference, “The Many Faces of Depression: Hope and Health” is free and open to the public. It is scheduled for Friday, May 13. The keynote speaker will be former Olympic athlete, Suzy Favor-Hamilton. Information can be found at www.jfsmilw.org.