Stormers hope for first winning season

Basketball season has come to an end, but sports fans need not worry, MATC baseball season has begun. This means warmer weather and the end of the school year is near. According to Coach Frank Cimorelli, “Our Stomers are looking to have a winning season for the first time.” The team has not won more than 15 games in the last ten years.

The last three years they have a combined 45-64 winning percentage.

The Stomers have already stumbled to a 0-2 start losing both games to Northern Iowa Community College 1-7, 4-12.

This season’s team will only have five players returning from last year, Tyler Dykema (#3), Ron Koetteritz (#15), Alex Rejniak (#19), John Riehle (#23)and NickOsvatic (#33).

Only two of the five returning were a part of the pitching rotation last year, Dykema 12.00 ERA and Rejniak 6.3 ERA.

Cimorelli says that, “Pitching is their biggest attribute this year.” All of the primary pitchers this season will be Freshmen: Gavin Locke (#14), Alex Bernstein (#6) and Alex Baier (#13).

This means Coach Frank Cimorelli, “will rely heavily on his 13 freshmen to contribute right away.” He plans on taking it one step at a time, first will be to have a winning record to gain some confidence.

Then according to Cimorelli, “things like a championship are possible.”

Out of the thirteen freshmen on the MATC team only Gavin Locke (Marquette, MI) is not from the Wisconsin area.

They begin their home schedule with two games on March 27 and 29 against Oakton Community College, a team they went 1-1 against last season.

The men’s baseball team plays their entire home games at the MATC Oak Creek Campus be sure to go and show your support for our Stomers.