Celebrating South African Freedom Day

Consul General Vuyiswa Tulelo visits downtown campus
    Printed+Version
    Photo by MATC Times
    Printed Version

Consul General Tulelo of the Republic of South Africa recently chose MATC as the first venue to kick start the Freedom Day celebrations on Wednesday, April 24. Tulelo opened with a private media interview where she revealed that her relationship with politics started from a young age. She saw a system she believed was unjust and knew she had to change it for herself and those that would come after her.
    “How can you make someone go to school for 12 years and then tell them in order to get the piece of paper [senior certificate] that will allow them to get in university they have to pay to write the exams? Isn’t that what school fees are for?” said Tulelo. She saw that people who were not financially stable would lose out on the chance of a future education because of this extra fee.
    With that a career in politics (or as she refers to it – activism) was started. By the time she reached her senior year [matric] there were no longer examination fees.
    Tulelo gave a talk to members of MATC including Dr. Burke, faculty and students.
    She mentioned that while there was a huge issue with segregation in apartheid South Africa, there was also a separation in the education level of the two classes of people. This has led to a skills gap in the generations.
    Tulelo made a plea for all those people that fought against the apartheid regime in South Africa, those who called for disinvestment in an unjust country to now see how far we have come. She has called for those freedom fighters to reinvest in South Africa, and to support community projects that will uplift previously disadvantaged sections of the population to help South Africa aid its people by empowering them.
    It is important to note that she was impressed with MATC and all its facilities.  She lunched at Cusine on the first floor of the Main building where she was treated to the amazing creations of the culinary students.
    Freedom Day in South Africa marks the day of their first free and fair election where Nelson Mandela became the country’s first apartheid president. It is interesting to note that he was imprisoned for 27 years, and Freedom Day is celebrated on the 27th of April.
    Consul General Tulelo had some strong words for women in the audience stating, “If I am going to grow up dependent on a man’s surname, there is going to be a problem.” She believes that blacks [as they were called in the apartheid era] were not the most oppressed group, black women were. She is strong and independent because of it.
    This did not stop her from marrying and having two children, it just made her ensure her needs were just as important as her husband’s.
    “You can’t blame your future on the past. It influences you but it doesn’t determine what you become,” Tulelo cautioned against blaming the past as  opposed to focusing on the future. She also mentioned that the biggest resource in South Africa is not the gold, diamond or even open space, but the people.  Tulelo added, “The beauty of an interconnected world is that we don’t have to make the same mistakes twice. We can learn from others.” Consul General Tulelo encouraged others to learn from other people, countries and cultures and let it enrich your life but always to remain true to yourself.
    There was a celebration attended by Mayor Tom Barrett, Milwaukee Alderman and Honorary Consul to South Africa Joe Davis Sr., media and other dignitaries at Live on Water on Wednesday as well.
    Consul General Tulelo’s full name is Vuyiswa Tulelo. Vuyiswa is Zulu [one of South Africa’s 11 official languages] and means “made happy.” This name certainly suits her vivacious bubbly persona.
    If you are interested in learning more about South Africa and their culture, be sure to look for information regarding the upcoming “Youth Day” celebration in June.