Oak Creek Campus proving grounds

Hundreds of current firefighters, police officers, FBI agents, and local S.W.A.T teams train at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus each semester, and that same type of training is available to students.According to Vincent Vitale, Associate Dean of Protective Services and a former Milwaukee Police Captain, the same instructors that train the professionals train the students enrolled in the Fire Protection Technician program, Criminal Justice – Law Enforcement program, or Emergency Medical Technician program.

In the Police Science program, students can apply to be a part of College Certification Track Training (commonly know as the Friday Academy).

According to Vitale, “MATC is considered a regional training authority for the state of Wisconsin.” This allows MATC to certify students, who complete this program, to be police officers.

The same is true for the Fire Program. “When (students) complete our Fire Certification class here at MATC, you don’t walk out with just an associate degree in Fire,” Vitale stated. “You also get certified in various tactics.”

Vitale added, “These are state certificates.” Also, MATC trains firefighters for Ozaukee County.

The Emergency Medical Services program offers EMT Basic, and the Intermediate Technician Certificate. “And that’s the middle step between being a paramedic and an EMT Basic,” Vitale said. Also, MATC provides training for several ambulance companies and current firefighters.

In the coming issues, the Times will highlight each of these programs to showcase the training and equipment used in such training. For example, information about the Flashover Simulator used for firefighter training or the Tactical Shoot House used in law enforcement training will be provided, plus the criteria it takes for student to enroll in each program.