Stormers end season with playoff loss

Coming into this summer the men’s MATC Stormers hoped they could improve from last year, where they finished 19-12 only to lose to rival Joliet Junior College in the finals.
    This year they had a lot of new additions: eight players on the roster were first year players. Despite that they started the year strong. At one time they were 7-2, looking like a team that was going to be a contender.
    Just as they raced to that impressive point in the season, they fell off just as quick. After the loss to Wright College they stumbled to a 9-6 record. And now they sit at 15-14 in the season that many predicted would be the year the Stormers would begin their dominance of the conference.
    Instead, they were dominated by the usual conference foes; they went a combined 1-5 against Joliet Junior College, Harper College, and College of Dupage. With some close losses to both Joliet (69-67) and Dupage (58-57).
    They have shown their youth at times throughout this season, but Darren Moore and Kenny Foster are the faces of the Stomers. Darren Moore had a solid average of 14.5 points and 8.6 rebounds a game, up from 11.4 and 7.2 last season. Kenny Foster had another excellent year with 13.7 points and 5.9 rebounds a game. Last year he averaged 11.8 and 5.2.
    The Stormers tried to salvage their season as they entered the playoffs with a chance at the national tournament.
    Next year will be a true test for our Stormers. The freshmen from this season will have to lead this team next year. Three of the five starters from this year are second year players, and when Darren Moore, Kenny Foster, and Garrett Abner leave they will be taking their 37 combined points a game with them.
    The 2011-12 Stormers will be a totally different team, and hopefully they will have a successful season. The MATC Time wishes Darren Moore, Kenny Foster, and Garrett Abner the best of luck, as we enjoyed watching them evolve into better basketball players and better men.