• Despite the forecast, live like it's spring. — Lilly Pulitzer

Spring has sprung…

When asked what Spring break means to me I immediately envision hours of lounging around in fields of daffodils. I think of the time I will spend sitting outside sipping on lemonade, and relaxing in the dabbled sunshine. Imagines of baseball games, tailgating and of course brats grilling come to mind. Hmmm…I can almost taste the freedom that is spring break! 

Realistically when I think about what I will do over spring break, I know this is the week that I will finally find the time to catch up on all my schoolwork.

I am hoping to also catch up with a few friends. It will be a week to celebrate Easter and all that is included in the celebration of Christ’s life. But those are just my predictions, so let’s see what really happens…

So what did my spring break entail? I spent about 50% of it catching up on articles, presentations and online assessments. Doesn’t sound so fun, huh?

But it also entailed spending a fun night with a few of my close friends. I got to catch up on their lives and let them know what was happening in mine. I introduced a German friend of mine to the American “tradition” of beer pong. We all went on an Easter egg hunt, at night, with flashlights.

I also got to spend time with my boyfriend’s family. We were invited to Easter lunch on Sunday. There was lots of food, colorful eggs and people (many of which I am still trying to work out how they fit into his family.)

We also had an Easter basket hunt for the youngest member of their family. The basket was hidden in a tree so it took 4 year old Hunter a little time to realize he is living in a 3D world and to look up instead of just at eye level.

Day four of my spring break was a buckle down and do all my homework done day. Not much fun but very productive!

Tuesday was my girl power day! A friend of mine called me to ask me to bring over some gas, since her car wouldn’t start. 

I figured it was probably a battery, not gas problem, so I came over with jump leads instead. Two girls, two cars and a dead battery…a car manual and a little confusion later we figured out how to jump start a car. I won’t lie, I was really nervous I was going to shock myself or blow up the car. Is that even possible?

If you have never jump started a car before, let me give you a quick run-down. You have to first of all figure out how to open the hood (or bonnet) which is not as easy as it sounds. Then you attach the red plug to the positive side of the dead battery, then red to the positive side of the booster car, black on the negative of the dead battery and lastly black on the negative on the booster  battery, in that order.     

Once you have hooked up the batteries you start the booster car, then the second car (which should be charged enough by now to start.) After three or so minutes you can remove to cables in reverse order. So black cable of the booster car, black cable of the dead battery car, red cable of the booster car, red cable of the dead battery car. Done!  

On Wednesday I joined a friend and her kids on a nationwide adventure. We went to Betty Brinn (children’s museum) which is perfect for children…and children at heart.  The Weebles coast to coast 50 State adventure is the museums featured exhibit. I was able to discover many things about the United States, and saw some information on some states I have already visited. 

It also got me thinking of the summer since I am planning a 19 state 14 day road trip from Wisconsin to Maine and back. Time to start planning that I guess – wish me luck! 

The next two days I spent with my host family visiting Kids in Motion, which is an interaction driven-fun filled-house for children. The next day we visited the Milwaukee Zoo. The zoo is tons of fun, but lots of walking! After watching the male peacocks showing off for the females, the elephants flapping their big ears and the lions looking hungrily at me I was beat, pretty much ready to get into bed and sleep (and this was only 2 p.m.) No wonder kids need afternoon naps!

Saturday was substituted for “fat kid Friday” where Tyler and I have a relaxed day of sweatpants and fun food (also known as fat kid food) this is also the day I realized I should probably go for a run since summer is just around the corner, and bikinis aren’t the most flattering outfits. 

So I did go for a run, 2 miles in total plus down and up the 100 steps it takes to get to Lake Michigan and back. The run is done, and I felt great!

On Sunday I went with my boyfriend on his apartment search. We discovered pretty much everywhere in Milwaukee that you do not want to live, and maybe one or two you would consider living in. 

That was my Spring break! I may not have grilled brats at Miller Park or sipped lemonade in the sun, or even laid in a field of daffodils, however I did have a great week with awesome friend and a few fun memories. I hope you spring break was one to remember!