• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Compact Replay

Kravitz’s new album simply magic
 Neil Young and Crazy Horse Americana (Reprise)

Did anyone really expect The Beach Boys That’s Why God Made The Radio (Capitol), their first album of new material in 20 years to be even remotely comparable to anything they’ve done in the past? The CD’s 12 tracks are a musical reminder of a time long gone, when sappy, soda pop records were the way of the world.

This album barely warrants the attention it’s receiving. Though Brian Wilson has always been worthy of the genius tag bestowed him for his brilliant arrangements and record production but without late brother Carl Wilson’s anchoring vocals and other band members meddling, this sadly isn’t working. 

Neil Young and Crazy Horse have their own kind of weird history going on about them. Young has been performing with them off and on ever since they recorded “Cinnamon Girl” back in 1970. There crunchy electric guitar sound is a mix of stuttering power chords and sheer static.

Their latest Americana (Reprise) is just as interesting as any of them. Here he and the band tackle some of our country’s greatest folk songs and transformed them into that Crazy Horse sound.

Hey this is pretty different, even for the likes of Young as he and the boys lay their own claim to stuff like “This Land Is Your Land,” “God Save The Queen,” “Clementine” and “Oh Suzanna.”

This kind of works because the arrangements are so radically different; they’re unfamiliar until Young starts singing the recognizable lyrics. While this has a political side to it, as some of these songs back in the day were considered protest or campfire songs, it makes for an interesting album from a guy that has become pretty predicable lately. Standouts include the above mentioned.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Lenny Kravitz, probably because he stole my girlfriend. Yea, Kravitz married Lisa Bonet away from me… well I mean if she ever actually had met me and if we ever actually dated, he would have stole her away. Nevermind.

Anyway he’s just released a well-put together commemorative package of his second album, the two cd Mama Said (21st Anniversary Edition) (Virgin). Successful sophomore albums really make or break an artist – you have one chance to prove you’re not a fluke and he hammered a home run.

Having a little latitude after his initial success, Kravitz showed his maturity as a writer, producer and vocalist. The album touches on old school R&B “It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over,” guitar hook rock on “Stop Draggin’ Around,” jazz on “What Goes Around Comes Around” and funk on “Always On The Run.”

The second disc is simply magic as it includes demos, b-sides, unfinished tracks and live cuts recorded during that time period. The demo for “It Ain’t Over” is just Kravitz’ vocal and keyboard into a cassette recorder. The unfinished “Riding On The Wings Of My Lord” is funky awesome-ness that has hit written all over it but left incomplete.

A total of 21 additional tracks that did not appear on the album show the scope of Kravitz’ work ethic when recording an album. On this 21st Anniversary Edition of Mama Said, Kravitz proved that he earned his place as one of the most diverse artists on the scene today.

Maybe even a better compilation overall is the comprehensive Strange Euphoria (Sony Legacy) by Heart. This Seattle band featured Wilson sisters Ann and Nancy fronting a pretty ruff and ready rock band.

They’ve had hits compilations before but none compiled by the Wilson’s themselves and they did this right. Do we really need another copy of their smash “Magic Man”? Of course not, so here they offer the demo-ed version of it, as well as other alternate takes and live tracks.

Original versions are here as well, I mean how can you improve on “Bebe Le Strange”? Three CD’s of music as well as a very early 1976 PBS recorded live concert. Did they really make TV this way? It’s unintentionally hilarious but a spot on performance by the band.

Standouts include “Dog and Butterfly (demo),” “Never (Live with John Paul Jones)” and “These Dreams.” Without a doubt the best box set of the summer.

Joe Walsh has always been appreciated but overlooked as a solo artist. His guitar has anchored the likes of bands like James Gang and The Eagles but his solo career has been dicey at best. 

His latest since 1992 is Analog Man (Fantasy). Ok, I understand that Walsh considers himself ‘an analog man in a digital world.’ We see it all the time at the Apple Store as employees spend hours helping the old folk how to dial their phone.

Produced by Jeff Lynne, the album has that Lynne sound that’s a cross between The Traveling Wilburys and ELO, which gives Walsh’s guitar work some legs. I kind of like “Wrecking Ball” and that’s about it.

On the other hand, here’s an album by a guy that proves age is just a number. An original soul man, Bobby Womack is back with a winner of an album, The Bravest Man In The Universe (XL Recordings).

Starting his career in the 60’s the architect of soul has written a ton of hits later to be covered by others including “Looking For a Love,” “Woman’s Gotta Have It” and “It’s All Over Now.”

He hasn’t recorded since 1994 but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t been working. He’s scored big on the last couple of Gorillaz albums and has guested on some others tracks. This album minimally produced by Damon Albarn and was recorded in West London and boy it sure sounds like it.

Filled with wishy keyboards and tape loops that sure makes this sound more like England than Philly. It’s ok, it’s good, and it’s filled with that Womack magic. Standouts include the albums title track, “Dayglo Reflection” with Lana Del Rey joining, “Stupid,” “Love Is Gonna Lift You Up” and right now my favorite song of the year “Deep River.”

The Bravest Man In The World is perfect for summer. 

Lenny Kravitz Mama Said (21st Anniversary Edition) ((Virgin))