• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Foo Fighters latest should be heard with windows open

Wow. Here’s a pleasant surprise. Robbie Robertson has a new album out and it’s pretty good. I’m surprised because even though I respect him, I’ve never been much of a fan or of his group The Band. Their album Music From Big Pink is considered a rock classic, it was unique – not a classic.
    Anyway How To Become Clairvoyant (429 Records) is as solid and diverse as an album this year. Robertson who has produced soundtracks on many Martin Scorsese films including The Departed, Gangs Of New York and Shutter Island has taken his time on recording this project stretching it out over two years.
    Self produced with Marius de Vries (Bjork) he recorded this project when he was motivated to do so and it shows. It’s very well paced with mid tempo rockers, ballads and even an instrumental spread throughout.
    Robertson has always been both, an under appreciated and under-rated guitarist and he more than holds his own here playing along side the likes of Robert Randolph, Tom Morello and Eric Clapton who co-wrote three songs, plays on seven and duets on “Fear Of Falling.”
    Standouts include album opener “Straight Down The Line,” “Axman” with Morello’s excellent guitar work, the almost swamp-like “The Right Mistake” with guest Steve Winwood’s fat-organ foundation and “When The Night Was Young.”
    I’m the kinda guy that believes you never say never and in this case it’s worked out in my favor. I usually would have never of given a Robbie Robertson album a listen but I found How To Become Clairvoyant, one of the best albums this year.
    I’m a big Foo Fighters fan. Created after Nirvana’s demise, they have shown growth and expanded range with each release. They are one of the few alternative rock bands to succeed even though the public’s fascination with the genre has passed years ago.
    There seventh album Wasting Light (RCA) is another example on how a band can stick to their guns and not only maintain their current audience but expand on it as well.
    Crunchy guitars, perfect vocals (almost stereotyped) well-crafted songs are the emphasis here. They also continue to stretch the boundaries of what is considered alternative rock. They dabble in punk (not the Green Day commercial kind either), hard rock, pop music and throw in the likes of violin, mellotron and accordion when motivated, to great success.
    This time produced by Madison WI born and raised Butch Vig (Nirvana, Sonic Youth), some might feel that his production is selling the band out. Not the case, yes it’s tight and crisp but not forced. Foo Fighters are one of the few bands that still have that sound of urgency in their recordings, something that can’t be faked.
    While they come across as a group make no mistake this is singer/guitarist Dave Grohl’s band. The Foo’s go as Grohl goes and right now he put his side project Them Crooked Vultures on hold and his emphasis is here.
    Grohl’s no fool either as he’s surrounded himself with some great players including drummer Taylor Hawkins, bassist Nate Mendel and Chris Shiflett on guitar and they all shine here as well.
    Standouts include the sure to be radio embraced “Dear Rosemary” and “Rope” as well as “Walk,” “Burning Bridge,” “Back and Forth,” “These Days” and “I Should Have Known” which reunites Foo Grohl with Nirvana band mate Krist Novoselic on bass.
    As we leave another Wisconsin winter behind us in the rear view mirror the Foo Fighters have offered Wasting Light, the first album that you can blast in your car with the windows open as we head into a well deserved summer.
    I’m new to The Band Of Heathens from Austin TX. Three singer/songwriters would get together and jam after their respective sets at Momo’s a local Austin club and sooner or later they morphed into a band. Their first two albums were recorded live with this, Top Hat Crown & The Clapmaster’s Son their third studio effort, released on their own BOH Record.
    I’ve always been leery about bands that release their music on their own homemade record labels. Anybody can scrape together some music and release it on an unsuspecting consumer. Not the case here, produced by Ray Wylie Hubbard, this has all the makings of a breakout album; great songwriting, vocals, musicianship and production.
    Colin Brooks, Gordy Quist and Ed Jurdi pretty much take turns on each other’s material with Seth Whitney on bass and drummer John Chipman rounding things out.
    Really tuff to nail this band down and describe it into one category. On the albums 10 tracks they hit on everything from blues, gospel, country, rock and soul music and transition from one to the other with ease.
    Standouts include the albums opener “Medicine Man,” the brokenhearted “Polaroid,” the loose and funky “Medicine Man,” the soul drenched “The Other Broadway,” “I Ain’t Running” and “Should Have Known” maybe my favorite.