• Despite the forecast, live like it's spring. — Lilly Pulitzer

Opinion

Elephant & donkey step away from your screen and get real
Printed+Version
Photo by MATC Times
Printed Version

It’s been about a month since the 2012 presidential election has concluded. I don’t miss the misleading political commercials as well as the hard-hitting and condescending television debates.
Presidential signs have been removed from yards, candidate rallies have come to an end and political computer pops-ups have disappeared. I believe the election was tense, exhausting and to some extent atrocious, but the political Facebook posts, emails, tweets and blogs were just as stressful on personal and professional relationships.
How many friends, family or co-workers did you stop talking to, avoided or ignored on the Internet? I have been warned early on in my career of some big conversation topics to avoid working in the corporate world; religion, politics and sex are a few.
So I asked myself why does someone feel it’s appropriate to post, email or tweet their political thoughts behind an electronic device? And better yet, can the majority of Americans have a civil and intellectual conversation with someone face to face who has a different political view?  
Majority of the “behind the screen” statements are “feelings” and how the person interpreted the information as opposed to “facts” and what’s truly happening in the political world. Free speech and voting is a right as Americans; however, I believe speaking “behind the screen” the person loses emotion, credibility, passion and the opinions are not highly valued. I have collected more knowledge about diverse political views when speaking to real people versus conversing with someone over the Internet.
The people I have spoke to range from all different lifestyles, ages, religions and cultures. I can appreciate a mature political conversation but when the individuals “forward,” “post” or publicize random statements regarding politics I question “why?” The short and lengthy discussions I’ve had with people turn extremely interesting when I asked them, “why do you choose to be conservative” or “why do you choose to be liberal?” Born or made?
I respect individuals who speak face to face, intelligently and logically when explaining their views on politics and why the choice of GOP or Democrat. With that said I have to believe the fanatical posts on the Internet is a secret way of expressing thoughts and beliefs without confrontation and backing to support political beliefs.
During some discussions, I have found many American citizens do not realize the extent of or understand significant decisions our American leaders have had to make throughout history.  
Personally, before I start speaking about politics I think about why I believe the way I do and the facts that support my reasoning.  
My political views are not defined by the car I drive, the attitude I possess, the sports I watch, my food or drink choices, my physical appearance or what “mommy and daddy” tell me to believe. It’s based on my morals, logical thinking, and what is the most reasonable decision.
I recommend three actions: Stop hiding, articulate with your mouth opposed to typing with your fingers and show you’re alive with passion.
I have faith in and believe everyone begins with different opportunities but with hard work and perseverance each and everyone can generally overcome those disadvantages.