Center spreads services through the community

Printed version of the story.

We have many resources to help students on their path to education. One of those resources that let MATC students help themselves and the community is the Center for Engaged and Service Learning.
The Service Learning Center goal is to provide students and faculty a chance to help out in the community. “It’s a way to connect classrooms to the community to reinforce course learning outcome,” said Suzanne Goodrich, co-chair of the psychology department and service learning coordinator.
The Center for Engaged and Service Learning has offices located on the Downtown Milwaukee Campus, in Room M289, and the Oak Creek Campus, Room A241. Their hours range from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The center always looks forward to seeing students and faculty volunteer for their service events. On Friday, Sept. 13, they held their MATC Day of Service. Goodrich states that the MATC Day of Service started a year ago, an initiative called, MATC-The Community’s College Initiative. Goodrich also mentioned that the center has a partnership with one of Wisconsin’s oldest communities, Hillside Terrace.
Faculty and students were able to  get involved with the Day of Service by going online to register and sign up to volunteer.
“We really want people to see MATC for all the good stuff that it does,” said Goodrich. The center someday wishes to have everybody at MATC, from faculty, students, organizations and staff, get more involved with service learning and the community.
At this point, nothing further has been planned for the Service Learning Center. They ultimately wish to spread the love of service learning to all four MATC campuses and get the entire student body out there in the community.