Jobs, jobs, students come get your jobs

Photo by Kirsten Schmitt/Times

Lena Neal spoke with a representative from a health care provider at the recent Job Fair at the downtown campus. Lena is in the Respiratory Therapist program and looking for a job in the health industry on Wednesday, Oct. 2.

If you are a student who is trying to find a job to make ends meet and lead you to a career path, MATC can help out. The school holds an event called the MATC Job Fair where employers from different businesses come to offer students applications for jobs.
Many students from MATC, including a few students from UWM, came to the MATC Downtown Campus on Oct. 2 to apply for jobs. Many of them that attended the Job Fair have a clear indication of what they want to pursue. Stanley Jackson, an architect student, stated he has an interest for a career that involves hands-on design work like carpentry. Other students may just be applying for jobs to help pay for school. “I’m just looking for something to hold me over while I take my classes, part time, full time, any type of job,” says Tony Sears, UWM information science student.
There are also some students looking to start their own business. But as students are attending and writing applications, they should be aware of how to prepare.
Many employers who came to the Job Fair say that a good way to prepare for a job is research. If you have a particular job in mind, try to look for it online and find the best one available. Once you find the best job, apply for the job and get ready for an interview. “Know that you want to present your best foot forward… we can train you to do anything but we can’t train you to be a good customer service person if you don’t have that passion within you,” said Michael Kasbohm, a recruiter for Potawatomi Bingo Casino.
Employers also want student employees to have good personalities, regular attendance, and look friendly and professional. All student scan pull this off if they set their minds to it and want to push for a career opportunity. When a student does find a job to apply to, there are potential mistakes to be cautious about.
Applying for a job in any business is the same as auditioning for a school play and it is easy to make errors. Some common mistakes students make when they apply are not providing the right information or misspelling some key points on their résumé and cover letters. “Make sure it makes sense to your ear…because it’s very important for businesses,” said Chris Johnson, tutoring associate for MATC Tutoring Services.
Another common mistake  students make is not providing the employer with hours which they are available to interview or to work. Although these mistakes are made frequently by students looking for a job, they can easily be avoided.
“MATC students come well prepared…They understand what the expectations are because it’s the same as MATC, come to work on time, come prepared, stay the length of time and enjoy the benefits of your hard work,” said Kasbohm.
The Job Fair provides a huge stepping stone for students who want to start their path to a career. Getting a job is the same as attending classes at MATC.
If you can bring your A game in your classes, you can bring your A game in a working environment. Once MATC students graduate and get a good job, they are one step closer to reaching their destined career.