• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

Summer consolidation survey to come

During this last summer, semester courses were consolidated into one location at the Downtown Milwaukee campus. The primary reason was a projected $90,000 savings in the school budget.

The administration will determine how the consolidation affected students in an upcoming survey.

Al Pinckney, Vice President, helped to reallocate part time summer funding to save those dollars and try and roll them over into the fall semester.  He observed that enrollment was comparable to previous years when classes were held at all four campuses. Although the majority of classes were available only at the Downtown Milwaukee campus and online, the concerns were if such a plan would inconvenience education seekers.

Pinckney stated that he did not hear of any students in adverse conditions due to the cuts, but has been in a series of meetings that plan to follow up with a survey and publicly announce the results. He wants to make sure that the students are satisfied with the MATC services. In his original concern for students, he states that he wants, “For them to accomplish their goals that they came to MATC for; to make sure that we are meeting the needs of what our MATC students are here to do, and that’s to be successful while they’re here at MATC, and get through their programs and get back out into the job market for employment.”

He adds that these ideas are ways to constantly evaluate what the mission of the school is, and when viewing budgetary concerns and constraints, staff members try to reduce cuts to program and services that benefit students. Pinckney also tells the Times that the Administration, faculty and staff are going to continue to look at how the MATC mission can satisfy the needs of our community overall. He admits that they do not have any plans as far as a consolidation for next summer, and again that will be determined by the assessment in progress. Whether or not the original plan will come back or continue to change will be evaluated after a thorough review of the data.